Overseas Medical Practioners

General practitioners, specialists and hospital non-specialists can apply for a visa in Australia, if they have graduated from an accredited medical school. There are three types of visas available for doctors who would like to practice in Australia.
Temporary Visas
Temporary Business (Long Stay) Visa (Subclass 457)
This visa is a temporary work visa. It allows workers to work in Australia for up to four years and bring eligible family members who have unrestricted work and study rights in Australia. Holders of a 457 visa also have no limit on the number of times they travel in and out of Australia. Individuals who wish to apply for this visa must first be sponsored by an approved Standard Business Sponsor and secondly nominated in an occupation from the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List. (http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL ). They must also meet the minimum level of skill and English requirements in addition to character and health checks. If granted, visa holders are restricted to working for their sponsor and may not work for any other organisation unless they change organisations and their new employer is an approved 457 Sponsor. Please note that a holder of a 457 visa may be eligible to apply for a permanent resident visa after two years of employment in Australia if particular criteria are satisfied (Employer Nomination Scheme).

Training and Research Visa Subclass 402
This visa is a temporary work visa. This visa is available to applicants who are aged between 18 to 30 to complete structured and supervised workplace based training programs in Australia. This visa is valid for up to two years. Suitable applicants must be seeking occupational training in a field closely related to their studies and meet the English and occupational health and safety requirements. Australian Internships will issue all the required documents for the applicant to obtain the Training and Research Visa.
Permanent Visas
Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
This scheme allows skilled workers to immigrate to Australia with a permanent residence visa. Individuals must be nominated by an approved Australian employer. This visa has three streams

  • • The temporary residence transition stream – 457 visa holders who have worked for two years in Australia can be nominated by their existing nominating employer who wishes to offer them a permanent position
  • • The direct entry stream – Workers whom have not worked on a 457 visa with their nominating employer for two years but who are formally qualified and have worked for at least three years at a skilled level in their occupation and their occupation is listed on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List.
  • • The agreement stream – workers sponsored by an Approved Australian employer through a labour agreement.